Now it’s finally time to start harvesting mango here on the Costa Tropical. Is there any fruit that tastes as heavenly as a perfectly ripe mango or two?
Mango is a stone fruit, i.e. it contains only one kernel, and its Latin name is Mangifera indica. Mango originated originally from northern India, where it grew already in prehistoric times, i.e. more than 4000 years ago. From there, it was the Portuguese who passed the fruit on to parts of South America, the Caribbean, and the Canary Islands about 500 years ago.
Mango began to be grown commercially here on the Costa Tropical as late as the 1980s. The Agricultural School La Mayora in Seville began to test some 40 different kinds of mangoes in the early 1980s to produce the most suitable varieties that would best suit the climate in southern Andalusia. Today, the variety Osteen accounts for about 75% of the mango grown here, the other 25% consists mostly of the varieties Keitt and Tommy Atkins.
Tommy Atkins has a sweet and mild taste. Mature it weighs between 450 – 600 grams. Picked during the period September to October.
Osteen has the most flavor and aroma. Mature it weighs between 300 – 700 grams. Grown only in the provinces of Granada and Malaga. Picked during the period September to November.
Keitt is more acidic and lacks stringy fibers. Mature it weighs between 500 – 2000 grams. The variety is originally from Florida. Picked from mid-October until Christmas.
Many farmers here in Almuñécar have in recent years gone from growing avocados to growing mangoes. The reasons for this is that mango trees require less water than avocados and they produce greater yield per surface area.
In addition to tasting delicious, mango contains plenty of A, C and E vitamins, minerals and a mixture of antioxidants that are good for our health and strengthens our immune system.
Mango is great to eat natural but also suitable for use in cooking and baking.
Mango cupcakes, 12 pcs
- 75 gr butter
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 dl granulated sugar
- 2.5 dl wheat flour (or 2 dl almond flour for gluten-free)
- 2 dl fresh or frozen mango, cut into ~1.5 x 1.5 cm pieces
- 1 dl grated coconut
- and yes, that’s right – no baking soda!
- Start by turning on the oven at 225 degrees and fill a muffin plate with paper molds.
- Bring out a saucepan and melt the butter. Then remove the pan from the plate.
- Pour the sprinkle sugar into the melted butter and stir with a ladle (do not whisk!).
- Then crack in the eggs and pour on the wheat flour (or almond flour) and stir with the ladle to a smooth batter.
- Distribute the batter in the muffin molds (I usually use a sauce ladle).
- Then press 3-4-5 pieces of mango into each form and sprinkle with grated coconut.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 12 – 15 minutes, the muffins should be a bit compact and barely baked, they should have become a bit light golden yellow on top.
- Let the muffins cool and enjoy them with some vanilla ice cream.